LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION REQUEST - zxx

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Wed Apr 23 19:35:39 CEST 2008

I'm not sure ANYTHING can improve the situation with regard to Suppress-Script, although I note that draft-4646bis makes an attempt to clarify the text somewhat. In any case, I thought it blindingly obvious that 'zxx' could not have a Suppress-Script, since the criterion for this field is:

---
This field indicates a script used to write the overwhelming majority of documents for the given language and which therefore adds no distinguishing information to a language tag.
---

The overwhelming majority of non-linguistic content is not written in a script--any script at all! For example:

<m:data xmlns:m='http://example.org/people' xml:lang='zxx' >
  <name xml:lang='und'>Addison Phillips</name>
  <photo>/aWKKapGGyQ=</photo>
  <sound>sdcfo2JTiXE=</sound>
  <hash>Faa7vROi2VQ=</hash>
</m:data>

It is wrong to consider Base64's use of ASCII characters for encoding bytes as the use of a "script". It's a transfer encoding, not writing.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.