Konkani Suppress-Script

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Wed Sep 5 02:34:39 CEST 2007

While wikipedia is a convenient source of information, for anything
important I never trust it without looking up the primary sources and making
sure that they are authoritative. From looking over the article, it appears
that you may be right, but I'd like to get some more substantiation so that
we don't flip-flop on this. The one source is some random seminar paper,
which may or may not be trustworthy.

Mark

On 9/4/07, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> Currently the Suppress-Script: field for Konkani is set to Deva.
> I believe this should be removed on the following evidence from
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konkani_language#Scripts :
>
>         Konkani is written in a number of scripts. Brahmi was originally
>         used but fell into disuse. Devanagari is the official script
>         for Konkani in Goa. Roman script is also popular in Goa . The
>         Kannada script is used amongst the Konkani population of
>         Karnataka. Malayalam script is used by the Konkani community,
>         centered around the cities of Cochin and Kozhikode in Kerala
>         state. Konkani Muslims in coastal Maharashtra and Bhatkal taluka
>         of Karnataka use Arabic script to write Konkani.
>
> There is a reference here to
> http://www.india-seminar.com/2004/543/543%20madhavi%20sardesai.htm ,
> which is specifically about Goan Konkani (treated as a separate language
> by ISO 639-3 under the Konkani macrolanguage umbrella).  Devanagari may
> be official in Goa, but it is not clear that that should be treated as
> the dominant script for Konkani as a whole.
>
> --
> Even the best of friends cannot                 John Cowan
> attend each others' funeral.                    cowan at ccil.org
>         --Kehlog Albran, The Profit             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

Mark