Modification Request: dsb et al. (Suppress-Script: Latn)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Sun Oct 21 20:22:22 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I am sure that Frisian uses Latin, which is the opinion I as reviewer
> can offer. I don't really care whether it has a Suppress Script or
> not. I certainly don't see a NEED for it (who is writing Frisian in
> anything else?)

That is the best reason to register the Suppress-Script: if nobody is
writing Frisian in anything but Latin, then tags like "fy-Latn" or
"fy-Latn-XX" should be formally discouraged.  That is what
Suppress-Script is all about.

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> replied:

> The source I've checked states when Old-Frisian stopped to use Runic.
> Suppress-Script helps that ignorant taggers like me get it right.  I
> did NOT know that Cyrl or Glag are no and never were options for
> Sorbian.

"Never were" is not a requirement for Suppress-Script, although there
has been some debate over whether it should be.  Section 3.1, page 23
says:

"This field indicates a script used to write the overwhelming majority
of documents for the given language and that therefore adds no
distinguishing information to a language tag....  For example, virtually
all Icelandic documents are written in the Latin script, making the
subtag 'Latn' redundant in the tag 'is-Latn'."

This does not mean Icelandic has never been written in a script other
the Latin.  Indeed, the existence of an Icelandic rune poem is
well-known.

NEW E-MAIL -->  dewell at roadrunner dot com
NEW URL -->  http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell