Modification Request: frr (Suppress-Script: Latn)

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Tue Oct 2 14:14:05 CEST 2007

Michael Everson wrote:

>>> There is a VERY LONG LIST of THOUSANDS of languages you
>>> could add to Suppress-Script.

>> I picked seven missing Suppress-Scripts for languages used
>> in or near Germany, that should conclude this business for
>> (modern) Sorbian, Frisian, nds, and gsw.

> And the other thousands of languages you just don't care about?

Likely I'd care at least for living languages, but in most
cases I couldn't judge it (above checking what TUS 5.0, CLDR,
Haarmann, or encylopedias say about it, if anything).  It's
not trivial, e.g. Haarmann claims that ko-KP (among others)
use Hang, not its superset Kore.

> I have already stated my view that a massive suppress-script
> undertaking should be taken not at the level of this forum,
> but at the level of revision of the standard and its basic
> list.

If you have fresh ideas how to tackle this issue in a future
4646bis registry please post them on the LTRU list.  The last
draft I've read hasn't changed anything about Suppress-Scripts.

IIRC you stated in spring 2006 that _systematic_ efforts would
help for the 4646 registry.  "Languages relevant for a given
country" was my best idea for nds, hsb, gsw, dsb, fy, frs, and
frr in the 4646 registry.

Besides I had no copy of TUS 18 months ago, and I didn't look
into Haarmann for more than a decade.

 Frank