More new subtags

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Nov 28 16:17:37 CET 2007

The free service WatchThatPage alerted me to a few changes in ISO 639-2.
Additional English names have been added for five existing language code
elements:

bej    Beja; Bedawiyet
chp    Chipewyan; Dene Suline
ii     Sichuan Yi; Nuosu
ie     Interlingue; Occidental
pam    Pampanga; Kapampangan

In each case, the first name is what we already have in the LSR; the
second needs to be added as a new Description field.

While I was checking these out, I noticed one other change:

arc    Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)

This is a name change from "Aramaic," and it was announced to this list
and posted on the ISO 639-2/RA site many months ago.  I sent out a
one-week-review notice for the revised record on 2007-08-19, but never
followed up on it by sending the record to Michael.  I apologize for
this lapse.

So here are the six language subtag records that need to be revised,
posted here for a week:

Type: language
Subtag: ie
Added: 2005-10-16
%%
Type: language
Subtag: ii
Added: 2005-10-16
%%
Type: language
Subtag: arc
Added: 2005-10-16
%%
Type: language
Subtag: bej
Added: 2005-10-16
%%
Type: language
Subtag: chp
Added: 2005-10-16
%%
Type: language
Subtag: pam
Added: 2005-10-16

I suggest that these be submitted to IANA at the same time as the new
ISO 15924-based script subtags, on or after 2007-12-05.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell