MODIFY: LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "baku1926"

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Tue May 29 06:34:46 CEST 2007

"Reshat Sabiq (Reşat)" <tatar dot iqtelif dot i18n at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I would not mind the following edition of CE's suggestion (basically
> replacing "Denotes alphabet" in my submission w/ "Latin orthography"):
> [Suggestion 2:]
> Latin orthography used in Turkic republics/regions of the former USSR in
> late 1920s, and throughout 1930s, which aspired to represent equivalent
> phonemes in a unified fashion. Also known as: New Turkic Alphabet;
> Birl&#x4D9;&#x15F;dirilmi&#x15F; Jeni Tyrk &#x4D8;lifbas&#x44C;;
> Ja&#x14B;alif.

(The entities are all OK here.)

> I also wouldn't mind this edition:
> [Suggestion 3]:
> Latin alphabet ...

I would prefer "orthography" over "alphabet" in this context, since "Latin
alphabet" means specifically the set of letters used to write the Latin
language.

An orthography is a set of writing conventions specific to a given language,
including alphabet and spelling rules and hyphenation choices and so forth,
and that is usually what we are trying to indicate with this type of variant
subtag.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/