reaffirm/revise/withdraw (was: RE: baku1926)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Tue May 22 19:53:08 CEST 2007

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> happen.  RFCs aren't reviewed, renewed, or amended at regularly scheduled
>> intervals like ISO standards.
>
> Neither are ISO standards. There is a question to the responsible WG every
> five years (after last revision) whether to reaffirm, revise, or withdraw
> the standard. Often the answer is reaffirm. Standards can be revised
> outside of this regular questioning. In some cases a standard can be
> stabilised and then the will not even be a question to the WG (which may
> even be disbanded).

I know.  I was making a rare attempt to be concise.  At least there is a
schedule by which *some* action is expected to be taken, if only to reaffirm
(I meant this instead of "renew").  With RFCs there is no maintenance
timetable.

The point is that if Reşat or anyone else wants to contribute to LTRU,
waiting until next year is not a good idea.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/