639-3 updates

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Tue May 15 07:04:52 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I think this request for "explanatory text" in the registry should be
> REJECTED because it is inherently contentious in terms of different users
> of the registry or of the people who happen to be subscribed to this list
> this month.
>
> As the tag belongs to ISO 639, it is for ISO 639 to determine what the
> exact meaning or the tag is.
>
> That is my opinion as reviewer.
>
> Consider this request REJECTED for these reasons.

Michael has stated a significant objection, publicly, on the list, and has
made his reasons clear.  No matter whether anyone agrees or disagrees, there
should be no doubt that the process has been followed here, in letter and
spirit.

I think we should wait to see what wording comes out of the LTRU group.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/