639-3 updates

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun May 13 13:41:40 CEST 2007

At 13:17 +0200 2007-05-13, Frank Ellermann wrote:

>It's the purpose of the language subtag registry to protect the
>Internet from incompatible changes or similar surprises.

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that the registry was a
bit more than a condom. Its primary purpose is to allow the
registration of entities which are not otherwise encoded.

This whole kerfluffle about "mis" is extremely uninteresting. Are
there examples of this tag being used to encode data now? What is
that data? Is it actually causing any problems? Or is this just
another Gedankenexperiment to see what we can make the registry do?