Registration request: "mis" comment clarifying meaning

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat May 12 20:35:06 CEST 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>>We deal in subtags now, not tags.  Users construct tags out of the
>>subtags they find in the Registry.
>
> Oh. Subtle and impenetrable terminology. Fine.

The terminology has been in place since RFC 3066: a tag is composed of
one or more subtags, joined by hyphens.  (In RFC 1766 it was different:
a tag was composed of a tag followed by zero or more subtags, which I
find much more impenetrable.)

The concept of being able to take the subtags "fr" and "CA" and put them
together to make "fr-CA", such that the same "fr" could have been used
to make "fr-CH" and the same "CA" could have been used to make "en-CA",
has always been fundamental to RFC 1766/3066/4646 language tagging.  In
4646 we got rid of the inconsistency whereby ISO code elements were used
as subtags, but individuals requested whole tags; today they are all
subtags.

The original request to register Valencian was phrased in the form of a
whole tag ("es-c") and I believe there was a point where the Late
Middle/Early Modern French subtags were also being presented in this
way.  That may indicate that some requesters are still not familiar with
the tag/subtag distinction, but the solution is to hold tighter to the
distinguishing terminology, not more loosely.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/