Registration request: "mis" comment clarifying meaning

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Fri May 11 19:06:28 CEST 2007

Frank is requesting the registration of a Comment field, which seems to
be covered by discussion on this list previously.

Given that the request just came in, you have two weeks for John to Take
Consensus. Why not let him do so.

I, for one, support this registration.

Addison

Michael Everson wrote:
> In my opinion it is the business of ISO 639 to define or clarify the
> meaning of its three-letter tags. It is not our business to do so.
>
> I volunteered John Cowan to be Consensus Taker for this, but have not
> heard from him. However, it seems out of scope to me and I think the
> request should be rejected.
>

> At 18:38 +0200 2007-05-11, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've posted the last update of the "mis" template in
>> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/4448/raw>
>> about four weeks ago.  The discussion about it ended,
>> and the latest 4646bis draft covers "mis" (among other
>> obscure language tags) in section 4.1 point 4 as #5:
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-05#page-46
>>
>> In essence it says "SHOULD NOT be used" and matches
>> the proposed comment, see below.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> ~~~ cut ~~~
>> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
>> 1. Name of requester:                   Frank Ellermann
>> 2. E-mail address of requester:         nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
>> 3. Record Requested:
>>
>>    Type:                                language
>>    Subtag:                              mis
>>    Comments:                            A collection of unrelated
>> languages
>>                                         which don't belong to any other
>>                                         ISO 639 collection
>>
>> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:      n/a (no change)
>> 5. Reference to published description
>>    of the language (book or article):
>>                         http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.ltru/7478
>>                         http://www.sil.org/ISO639-3/scope.asp#C
>> 6. Any other relevant information:      n/a (comment added)

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

It is not a feature.