Suppress-Script redux (was: Re: NEW-INSERT LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION for "tarask")

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sun May 6 00:35:51 CEST 2007

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Doug Ewell wrote:
>
>> Suppress-Script is intended to maintain compatibility with RFC 3066
>> applications that would fail to match, say, "be-Cyrl-BY" with
>> "be-BY".  No RFC 3066 implementation is going to understand the
>> subtag 'tarask' anyway, in any position, because it is not part of
>> any registered tag.
> Fortunately "Cyrl" is registered as Suppress-Script for "be",
> therefore be-Cyrl-BY-tarask is anyway not recommended, the shorter
> be-BY-tarask will work as expected for "right to left matching".  And
> of course it's not desirable to use the subtag "BY" in these examples
> unless it's for some important semantical differences about "be-tarask
> as used in BY".

Of course it's not; Ethnologue reports that speakers of "be" in BY
outnumber speakers of "be" in PL by a margin of 30 to 1, and there's no
indication that the PL version differs from the BY version in any
meaningful way.

But I had to use the region subtag to illustrate the point about
Suppress-Script, because without region subtags, there is no need for
Suppress-Script.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/