be-tarask

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 21:27:37 CEST 2007

Jaska Zedlik
sub at zedlik.com
>I don't really think, that they are "VERY different". The difference
>between them are mainly in non-specified then rules and in the
>orthography of foreign words, because it was not relevant in 1929. And
>this difference is certainly less than between 2005 version and the
>official orthography.

Then the way you have the comments is fine!  If there is litte difference
between the two versions, enough so that no one would prefer to get one
version or another, no need to distinguish the two.

(There's plenty of the more modern version on the web so obviously the
subtag is for that primarily.)

Regarding the two forms, the 'classical' and the 'official:'

Whatever Gerard says happens for be without specifying a particular variant
must be the case at Wikipedia.com;  I do not know what is the case for the
web in general;
I think it is up to the users of the 'official' version of the orthography
to decide whether or not they need to register a variant, or leave things as
they are.

So long as people get served the content they want in the orthography they
want the way the subtags are , all will be well, and there will be no need
for any change till things are otherwise in cyberspace.  (Cyberspace has its
own rules.)

(And, of course, we must wait a bit till the date the browsers and such
incorporate the new subtags into their functioning before we can see what
will happen; indeed, I have not been able to get even standard scripts to
display correctly at the library computer here--even if I tag the language
and script correctly-- the display here is at the whim of the computer
settings, has nothing to do with tagging, and the one best way to get
content in the spellings I want is to type in words in the spellings I want
and hope they come up.)

Take care,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com