be-tarask language subtag registration form

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 31 21:05:38 CEST 2007

Peter's option B is the best choice -- identify the political issues so
they can be discarded, then evaluate the request and accept (or reject)
solely on the basis of language-identification issues.

I, for one, don't care if a group exists that wants its own Wiki page
and the Wiki Foundation has said no.  That's not why we register
subtags.

To me, the claims that Taraskievica should not be given a subtag because
it doesn't reflect the "original" orthography as claimed brings to mind
the disturbing debate over encoding Ol Chiki in Unicode, where some
opponent groups claimed the Ol Chiki script encouraged non-standard and
inferior grammatical usage and otherwise threatened the integrity of the
Santali nation.  This sort of argument has no place here.  If
Taraskievica is in use, and well enough documented for a subtag to have
meaning, it ought to have a subtag.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/