be-tarask language subtag registration form

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Mar 31 01:35:23 CEST 2007

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Is there another orthography of Belarusian that we need to know about
> in order to evaluate this?

Belarusian has three orthographies in modern use.  One is Latin, and
not relevant here.  Of the other two, one (this one) is the pre-1933
orthography, the other is the russified orthography that became official
in 1933 and revised in 1959 and is still official.  It is hotly disputed,
and highly political, exactly who uses or should use which orthography
for what, but the existence of the two is not disputed.

In addition to purely orthographical differences, people who write in the
official orthography accept a larger number of Russian loanwords.  I can't
get an unbiased view on whether there are differences in morphosyntax.

One name for the official orthography is "narkamauka", but this is a
derogatory term inappropriate for a language subtag.  I don't know what
would be appropriate.

--
A rose by any other name                            John Cowan
may smell as sweet,                                 http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
but if you called it an onion                       cowan at ccil.org
you'd get cooks very confused.          --RMS