be-tarask language subtag registration form

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 01:28:50 CEST 2007

Hoi,
On the Wikimedia Foundation there has been an extended politically oriented
struggle where the proponents of this "orthography" prevented the official
Belarus orthography from being used. This resulted in a request to get a new
project for the official Belarus orthography.

The Wikimedia Foundation language committee was asked to deal with this.
This resulted in the renaming of what used to be the be.wikipedia.org to
be-x-old.wikipedia.org. The official orthography was given the
be.wikipedia.org domain.

Based on the information that was in front of us, we did not request a tag
for this orthography because the original orthography that was in use has to
have been infused with many new words in order to be usable in a modern
setting. Also the information we had suggested that this "orthography" is a
recent invention that is politically motivated. The notion that this is
reflecting a historic orthography is imho a wrong.

Given that the differences between the two orthographies are minor; less
than the differences between British and American English, the language
committee wants the two groups to work together in one project. This would
prevent two biased projects. An other argument to deny a separate project is
that the allocation of languages is done based on ISO-639 codes. This
requested code does not qualify.

Thanks,
      Gerard