Reshat Sabiq's requests for two Tatar orthographic variants

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:40:04 CET 2007

Hi, Reshat, all,
I'll go for baku192, if that is what you want, but first, before I do,
what does bir mean (is the abbreviation from your language only? common to
the whole group since it mainly involves consonants?  or is it from
English?)

3. bir1926	("bir" being an abbreviation like "uni")

it does seem the first conference was in 1926; see:

http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/pubs/clsl/clsl123.pdf

(Lancaster University
Department of Linguistics and Modern English Language
CLSL
Centre for Language in Social Life
http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/groups/clsl/home.htm
Working Papers Series
http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/pubs/clsl/wpapers.htm)

"In 1926 the First Turcological Congress was held in Baku (Azerbaijan).
During eight days of debate,
the merits of retaining the Arabic script were compared with the benefits
and costs of converting to
the Latin alphabet. The Latinists won the day, and the Latinisation of all
the Turkic languages of the
U.S.S.R. was proclaimed official policy (Henze 1977:376).

"1.4 The New Turkic Alphabet

"One outcome of the First Turcological Congress was a blueprint for a
unified alphabet for all the
Turkic languages. The New Turkic Alphabet (known as the Yanalif from the
words for ‘new’ and
‘alphabet’) was eventually agreed by the All-Union Central Committee on the
New Turkic
Alphabet which met in 1927 – 28."

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com