Status?

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:48:49 CET 2007

Hi, if this is o.k. I prefer the following comment for the second subtag
(1606nict):
Comments: 16th century French as in Jean Nicot, "Thresor de
>>>     la langue francoyse" 1606, but also including French similar to that
>>>of Rabelais.

(Rabelais's French is not catalogued in Nicot, but it is very close to that
catalogued in Nicot; no reason to exclude him in my opinion since including
him makes the subtag much more useful; see below also!
Ah me hope you get this in time; I did not get online enough yesterday--I
only get a few hours online because of rules here!  I have no more
amendations
)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

>>>Comments: 17th century French, as catalogued in the "Dictionnaire de
>>>     l'académe françoise", 4eme ed. 1694; frequently includes
>>>     elements of Middle French, as this is a transitional period
>>
>>I still don't like the long, encyclopedic comments, but I appear to have
>>lost this battle and I can live with it.
>
>I replicated what the CE Whitehead asked for. Comments are allowed to be
>long (well, longer).

Thanks!

>>Please, let's do away with this question mark.  It will merely make the
>>user unsure of the purpose of the tag.  Better to just say "(before 1606)"
>>in the spirit of ISO 639 descriptions, which also assign more-or-less
>>precise boundary dates.
Sure or  I would say (Rabelais to 1606)

(yes remove the mark; it's a comment to us;
you could say here, but it would probably be better to do so in the comment
that this is French "as catalogued in Jean Nicot . . . but also including
French similar to that of Rabelais."

(Rabelais's French is not in Nicot;  the comment is a place to address
this!)

>I forgot the question mark, which I originally inserted because I inferred
>the date, not because the registrant asked for it. I think it should be
>removed.
>
>>>Comments: 16th century French as in Jean Nicot, "Thresor de
>>>     la langue francoyse" 1606
>>
>>Was something supposed to appear after this semicolon?  I suggest removing
>>it.
>
>Apparently not.

Probably not but see top of this email--for a minor amendment to this!

>>If nobody has any objections, I'll send Official Registration Forms with
>>these minor changes (and some tiny mechanical ones, like lowercasing
>>"variant") to the list and to Michael.
>>

>Please.

Wait, wait, if you can just till you get this!
Ah me; I did not get online enough yesterday--I only get a few hours online
because of rules here!

Sorry!  I guess I did not realize I had less than a day!  (or I might have
asked for special permission to get back on at 19:15 or 19:30 our time here
and sort through this)

>Addison
>
>--
>Addison Phillips
>Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Thanks, Addison, Doug, Mike, and others (Stephane, and others) for all your
feedback etc. on this.