Status?

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 20 17:32:50 CET 2007

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

>> ... simply "(c.1606)" should do.
>
> I agree - "c." (as in "c. 1606") sounds a lot more
> professional/academic/less woolly-minded than "?" or "before".

Well, it means something different.  "Circa" is Latin for "around" or
"approximately," and seems more fiiting in this context than "before" if
the registration is going to cite a 1606 reference work.  Who is to say
that the reference work was the final record of that particular usage of
French?  It may have helped spread and popularize it.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/