Mark Davis is unhappy with the LSR

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 09:00:41 CET 2007

Hoi,
There is a famous American story about a Dutch boy that put his finger
in a dyke. The idea is that it did stem the flow of water. In actual
fact, in such a situation it breaks the surface tension even more and it
would create a flood. With ISO-639-3 ratified as a standard, opposition
to it will either fracture the stability of the system or it will make
the opposition less relevant. We will see.

NB When you operate your own mailing list, the opposition that you may
observe on it is hidden from view and its value is therefore hard to judge.

When I joined this mailing list I was told that for /my /purposes I
should not use ISO-639-3 because "it was not ratified". Now it is and
from my position not a moment too soon. The standard may not be perfect,
but it is a lot better than what went before. In the Wikimedia
Foundation, there is a fight on the script to be used for the Konkani
language (ISO-639-2 kok). It has however been split in seven languages
in ISO-639-3 and that proves really helpful, it means that I can tell
the people fighting that the proposal for a single language with the kok
code is not acceptable.

Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=92010