ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jun 14 06:18:58 CEST 2007

Mark Davis scripsit:

> 'mis' is thus a complete abomination. Why on earth should we not
> deprecate it? That does not prevent it from being used -- we can't
> do that for stability's sake -- but does give as strong a warning as
> we can.

Right now it is indispensable for 'known language, no code available'.
We should deprecate it as soon as 4646bis becomes BCP 47.

John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan at ccil.org
[T]here is a Darwinian explanation for the refusal to accept Darwin.
Given the very pessimistic conclusions about moral purpose to which his
theory drives us, and given the importance of a sense of moral purpose
in helping us cope with life, a refusal to believe Darwin's theory may
have important survival value. --Ian Johnston