ISO 639-2 decision: "mis"

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Jun 14 01:32:37 CEST 2007

I note that this is what most people probably thought it meant in the
first place. It is the only meaning that makes any sense and I cheer
this clarification.

Yes, the "meaning" of the 'mis' code is "narrowed" by additions of codes
(assuming that codes added alway cover additional languages and not just
finer gradations of existing ones, a case that isn't that uncommon)---if
one takes a collective view of all content in the universe and assigns
it a language tag today.

But the definition of the 'mis' code is exactly what 4646bis is
currently set to say: stuff whose language is known (not 'und') but
which you can't otherwise tag, either because no code is available or
(more likely) the code isn't available to your application.

The reasons for using the 'mis' code are limited and I suspect that we
hardly ever see it in the wild nor will we in the future. As a tag it
only has meaning in the context of a fixed set of content and it has
essentially no meaning in language ranges except when working with sets
that are known to use it.

As for deprecation, I think this is such a perverse interpretation of
the meaning of "narrows" that I can't see following through on it with
deprecation. Let's fix our draft text and move along. Currently the
draft for the next version of BCP 47 informs users why the subtag has
limited value and say that it SHOULD NOT be used. That's strong enough.

Addison