Proposal to add "Kore' as Suppress-Script for 'ko'

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:31:55 CEST 2007

After checking out some rather basic links on Hanja and Hangul (
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul), I ask:  is the status of Hanja in
Korea in debate?  If so, I think we should hold off making a decision as to
what the default orthography is, that is if [kore] stands for what I
understand it does, a mixture of Hangul with some Hanja; while [hang]
represents pure Hangul.

{And it seems to me maybe that it's o.k. to not have a default script (&
thus to have documents where if the creator fails to tag these as [hang] or
[kore] it's not completely obvious what characters are used)--while it would
be nice to distinguish documents in Hangul from documents in the mixture of
Hangul and Hanja, so long as the encoding of the characters is clear, the
characters should display properly anyway (when people have the fonts).}

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com