Suppress-Script for Korean?

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 24 19:21:50 CEST 2007

Hi -

I think "Kore" is the appropriate choice for suppression.  In the abstract,
this might seem odd because the "Hang" is a proper subset of "Kore."
However, if we think about the practical contexts of when something would
be delibrately written only using "Hang," (rather than merely happening to
have only "Hang" characters) I think the conclusion is that "Hang"
is indeed the "marked" case.

Since there already is a substantial body of tagged Korean text with no
script subtag, and Korean texts of any substantial length are overwhelmingly
"Kore", this seems to be exactly what Suppress-Script was intended to cover.

Randy