Solving the UTF-8 problem

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jul 16 17:36:24 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 07:36:13AM -0700,
 Doug Ewell <dewell at roadrunner.com> wrote
 a message of 73 lines which said:

> It's easy enough for a knowledgeable user to tell Windows that
> "utf8" is an extension for plain-text files by editing the Windows
> registry (answering your question about where the registry of
> extensions is).

I hoped there was a semi-official registry (not the Windows registry)
somewhere on the Web :-}

> I've suggested a minor file naming change that would allow him to
> read UTF-8 on a Windows 95 machine, and would not break on newer
> equipment.

Should work, now. The most complicated thing in the "minor change" was
writing the Apache's RewriteRule so that the old URL still work :-)