Solving the UTF-8 problem

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 12 09:02:41 CEST 2007

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> Hi, I am also for utf-8 so long as we link to the appropriate
> fonts/viewers (for libraries).

I'm still not convinced that this is our responsibility.  I can try
looking for some stable and informative links -- Alan Wood's outstanding
pages at http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/ leap to mind -- but as we said
before, this is unlikely to be of much use to a library user who isn't
allowed to install fonts or software.

(I am still willing to bet that CE's library machine has Internet
Explorer 4.0 or later, and can thus view a local UTF-8 file.)

> Plus of course I assume we are keeping an unofficial text version at
> langtag.net

I don't oppose this, but if you want to keep the version with the hex
NCRs, do you really still need the links to UTF-8 fonts and viewers?

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/