Proposal to add "Kore' as Suppress-Script for 'ko'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jul 11 09:38:02 CEST 2007

At 22:56 -0700 2007-07-10, Doug Ewell wrote:

>The North Korean national character encoding, KPS 9566-97, includes
>4,653 Hanja, or more than half the total number of encoded
>characters. Then again, it also includes Latin, Greek, Cyrillic,
>kana, and a fair number of dingbats.
>
>I'm willing to withdraw this request if people think it is not appropriate.

I think it's wrong. Kore is an alias for two scripts. This
Suppress-Script thing, how is it to know that a paragraph in Chinese
with three words in Hangul in the middle isn't really Chinese and not
Korean? Kore makes sense from the point of view of ISO 15924, but
not, I think, in terms of the automated stuff Suppress-Script is
supposed to do.

I could be wrong. But my impression is that this request is unsafe.