Variant tags for sl-rozaj: standardized Resian

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 01:43:40 CEST 2007

Hi, my comments are below!

>Confident that the final registration of variant subtags 'biske', 'njiva',
>'osojs' and 'solba' is by now a mere formality, I press on with a request
>that partly builds upon these subtags.

You requested those variant subtag registrations Monday June 18; that is
more than two weeks ago.

However it seems they have not been registered.

I guess we should find out what is going on with the registration of those.

>Standardized Resian, for which the variant subtag '1994' is intended, is a
>very young written standard indeed. Furthermore, it was created by the
>author of this request. But it is the only form of written Resian for
>which the orthography has been set out explicitly. And it is the only form
>that is being used by several authors. Other orthographical systems are
>mostly confined to individual authors and are either fully undocumented or
>rudimentally explained in an alphabetical list giving a pronunciation rule
>for every grapheme. This makes the 1994 orthography different from
>preceding and competing orthographies.
>
>As to the denomination, the 1994 orthography was already put to use in
>1993, when bilingual place name signs were put up by the local
>authorities. If someone wants to pick that year for the denomination, let
>him speak up!

>Han Steenwijk

I am not a speaker and have no business selecting the date, but for what
reason did you select the date, 1994?

But I guess I should probably wait till we find out what happened to the
request to register the four variants before discussing your new request.
(Maybe a list moderator can let us know whether we can begin to discuss the
new request while we wait for resolution of the old, since this new request
hinges upon the old's acceptance.)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com