Solving the UTF-8 problem

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 4 07:08:14 CEST 2007

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> I still think the email argument is the compelling one.  We *will*
> have corruption no matter what.

My suggestion is that we send new and changed records to IANA in UTF-8,
as file attachments, possibly zipped or gzipped or wrapped in some other
sort of binary armor to help protect against damage.  I'm not worried
about that part; I haven't received a corrupted GIF or JPEG sent that
way in 10 years.

The part I'm not sure about is convincing the list that the record
submitted to IANA, in this high-security way, is the exact same as the
one list members have agreed upon.  This is a bit touchy because of the
two recent submissions whose Comments fields were altered before being
sent to IANA.  I'm sure we can come up with a solution that will satisfy
almost everyone; I'm just not sure what that solution will be.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/