Co-language and other miscellany (was: Re: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 31 07:14:45 CET 2007

Karen Broome <Karen underscore Broome at spe dot sony dot com> wrote:

> The mention of a "co-language" is out of scope. The entry seeks to
> help identify the language assigned to the code, nothing more. I do
> not think we want to go down that path.

I agree.

Although CE and others who are relatively new to the list would not know
this, the question of whether to make the Language Subtag Registry a
broad compendium of language information has already been discussed,
more than once, both here and on LTRU, and the decision was fairly
conclusive that it should contain little more than what is necessary to
help users identify the language (script, region, variant) associated
with each subtag.

The information that Valencian is spoken alongside Spanish, or that most
Valencian speakers are bilingual in Spanish, or whatever, is interesting
from a linguistic standpoint but not necessary to identify the language.
How many languages worldwide are spoken on a "co" basis with English or
French?  I don't think we want to try to identify the hundreds or
thousands of cases like this, and I don't see what is different about
Valencian in this regard.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/