Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

Ciarán Ó Duibhín ciaran at oduibhin.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 27 01:23:32 CET 2007

CE Whitehead responded to a message of mine:
> >But I am struggling to see how the currently proposed (single-prefix)
tags
> >will help with these objectives.  They are "frm-1606Nict" or
> >"frm-16siecle";
> >"fr-1694acad" or "fr-17siecle"; and plain old "frm" and "fr".
> >
> >How would the tag for a text, which is 16th century but modernizing, show
> >that it has something in common with Modern French? (your 1st para above)
etc etc

by giving the linguistic differences and similarities.  That wasn't what I
meant to ask. I meant, how would the forms of the tags assigned demonstrate
the similarities and differences they are meant to capture.  For example,
tagging a modernizing 16th century text as "frm-16siecle", as currently
proposed, doesn't seem to me to suggest that its characteristic (and the
reason it has the subtag) is linguistic similarity to texts tagged "fr".
"fr-16siecle", on the other hand, would show that very clearly.

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.