Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Jan 25 22:02:16 CET 2007

Although your description is, in fact, "descriptive" and is not, in
fact, illegal, it is also not in the style or practice of the rest of
the registry. The description is, in fact, a human-readable identifier
and is non-normative. RFC4646 says (in part) about it the following:

--
The 'Description' field is used for identification purposes and SHOULD
NOT be taken to represent the actual native name of the language or

RFC 4646 goes on to say about the Comments field:

--
Comments contains additional information about the subtag, as deemed
appropriate for understanding the registry and implementing language

How about:

Comments: early modern French as catalogued in the
   "Dictionnaire de l'acad?me fran?oise", 4eme ed. 1694;
   includes elements of Middle French and new terms from
   the Americas

The part about which book is being used as the exemplar or cornerstone
of the subtag makes a useful comment, necessary to understanding the
registry entry and implementing tages based on it. But it isn't the
essence of the subtag.

Addison

--
Addison Phillips