Valencian registration (Was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 25 01:59:42 CET 2007

"4. Intended meaning of the subtag: Valencian is a language slight different
from catalan that is spoken in the region: "Comunidad Valenciana" (code
"VC" of ISO 3166-2:1998) "

Make sure to change "slight: to "slightly"--you are also considering another
description now though I think which I like better!
But I like "Comunidad Valencia."

On another note, if under variant tags, we had several classes of variant
tags,

* regional variants for languages (which can be spoken outside a region of
course, but which match the way the language is generally spoken in a
particular region)

* historical variants for languages

* other variants or social variants for languages (are there other variants
other than social, historical, regionial for the various languages?? I know
there are also variants of scripts, orthographies . . .)

maybe more people would be happy with the tags.  I feel some people might be
unhappy that say Valencia cannot be treated like Spain or France and given a
code in a section entitled region; by having regional variants we will have
solved the problem.

I do not mind going through the variants currently listed on the subtag
registry and putting them into categories based on the descriptions and any
additional research I need to do--
if anyonne wants me to do so.

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead