Valencian registration (Was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Jan 24 22:01:20 CET 2007

That's hilarious. In Valencia, presumably the language is called
"Valencian". So we'd have "Valencian variation of Valencian" :-).

I don't think we should ignore the existing description of 'ca' as
Valencian.

In other words, if you make the Description 'Valencia' (the place), it
will be more accurate. Then "ca-valencia" would mean roughly "Valencian
as spoken in Valencia". Just because its a subtag of type "variant"
doesn't mean that the defined meaning isn't regional or geographic in
nature.

Addison

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:06:28PM -0500,
>  John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote
>  a message of 24 lines which said:
>
>> Better yet, call it a language variant slightly different from Standard
>> Catalan, which is uncontroversial and aligns with RFC 4646 terminology.
>
> Better yet :-) do not call it at all, it has already the type
> "variant". No need to repeat the type in the description.
>
> Type: variant
> Subtag: valencia
> Prefix: ca
> Comments: Catalan as spoken in "Comunidad Valenciana"
>
> Yes, there is already a "Description: Valencian" in "ca". So what,
> descriptions are not supposed to be unique.

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

It is not a feature.