Request for variant subtag fr 16th-c 17th-c RESUBMISSION

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 21:30:09 CET 2007

>It's not illegal as such, it's just that "fr" in non-initial position
>means France, not French.
>
>In any case, where languages encompassed by a macrolanguage already
>have 639-1/639-2 codes, they will remain language subtags and not become
>extlang subtags.  So frx-frm would be equally bad.

That means I gather that we will not be able to use fro or frm or any other
language with an existing subtag if a French macro-language were created; we
would have to create a whole new set of subtags?  As we could not extend the
use of these.

That is certainly likely to discourage the creation of macrolanguages for
the purpose of resolving existing issues with already created language
subtags.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com