LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM 19/01/2007 16:54:20, Serialize by Router o

Addison Phillips addison at yahoo-inc.com
Sat Jan 20 20:20:34 CET 2007

It would help to read the instructions (RFC 4646). This request cannot
be registered because it is invalid for several reasons:

1. Region subtags cannot be registered. Only languages and variants can
be registered. Just because a variation is regional in nature or scope
doesn't mean that a region subtag is the best way to identify it. After
all, most dialects are regional in nature. However, region codes in
language tags go no lower in scope than the nation-state level.

2. Registered subtags must be at least 4 characters long (if they start
with a numeral) or 5 (if they start with a letter) and not exceed eight
characters.

If Valencian is a dialect of Catalan, the way to indicate that is via a
variant subtag. I note that the (alas English) word "valencia" is eight
characters long (the maximum length).

Regards,

Addison

CE Whitehead wrote:

> Hi:  the subtag is just VC; ca is the tag it goes with!
> There's a place on the form for that somewhere!
>
> Also I could not access the links; maybe it is my location in the U.S.
>
> Otherwise, I am in favor of the tag described below.
> --C. E. Whitehead
> cewcathar at hotmail.com
>
> <FONT face=3D"Sans Serif
> predeterminado,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"=
> size=3D2><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM <BR></=
> P><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">1. Name of requester: Gabriel Babiano Huete
> (Age=
> ncia Espa=F1ola de Administraci=F3n Tributaria)</P><P style=3D"MARGIN:
> 0px"=<BR>2. E-mail address of requester: <A
> href=3D"mailto:gabriel.babiano at corr=
> eo.aeat.es" target=3Dblank>gabriel.babiano at correo.aeat.es</A><BR></P><P
> sty=
> le=3D"MARGIN: 0px">3. Record Requested: </P><P style=3D"MARGIN:
> 0px">&nbsp;=
> </P><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">Type: region<BR>Subtag:
> ca-VC<BR>Description: =
> valencian</P><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</P><P style=3D"MARGIN:
> 0px">4.=
> Intended meaning of the subtag: Valencian is a language slight different f=
> rom catalan that is spoken in the region: "Comunidad Valenciana" (code
> "VC"=
> of ISO 3166-2:1998)<BR></P><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">5. Reference to publis=
> hed description of the language (book or article): LEY ORG=C1NICA
> 5/1982, D=
> E 1 DE JULIO, DE ESTATUTO DE AUTONOM=CDA DE LA COMUNIDAD VALENCIANA
> [DOGV n=
> =FAm. 74, de 15 de julio]&nbsp; (<A
> href=3D"http://www.gva.es/cidaj/cas/c-n=
> ormas/5-1982.htm#9"
> target=3Dblank>http://www.gva.es/cidaj/cas/c-normas/5-1=
> 982.htm#9</A>)<BR></P><P style=3D"MARGIN: 0px">6. Any other relevant
> inform=
> ation: </P></FONT>=

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.