ISO 639 name change: Songhai languages

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 9 16:24:39 CET 2007

It's important not to confuse languages with alphabets. The same
keyboard layout can be used for English and Indonesian since they have
similar alphabets -- and I'm sure there are some equally dissimilar
languages somewhere that use identical alphabets. That doesn't mean that
we should concoct artificial macrolanguage entities combining the two
languages just to capture something about keyboard layouts.

Of course, Don was mentioned a particular scenario involving closely
related languages, so the situation may well warrant a macrolanguage;
but keyboard layouts shouldn't be the determining criterion for that.
Rather, it should be the feasibility of creating content that can be
used for all of the varieties together.

Peter