ISO 639 name change: Songhai languages

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 6 07:26:24 CET 2007

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> A macrolanguage is a group of language varieties which are not
>> mutually intelligible,
>
> If they really aren't mutually intelligible (to a very high degree),
> they are separate languages that cannot be given a macrolanguage
> umbrella.

I really don't think it is a good idea to get involved in
second-guessing the techniques and expertise of ISO 639-3/RA.

Our effort would be better spent (a) on this list, helping the Reviewer
evaluate user-sumitted subtag proposals or (b) on the LTRU list, helping
shape the way RFC 4646bis will use ISO 639-3.

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/