Reshat Sabiq's requests for two Tatar orthographic variants

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:44:02 CET 2007

Hi, my commen ts are below:

Reshat <tatar.iqtelif.i18n at gmail.com> wrote:

>4. nta-janalif for tt and maybe ba, nta
Would probably need nta-canalip for Qazaq.
>5. nta1926
>Or if there are better ideas, please speak up.

Thanks,
Reshat

>John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:
>
>>However, the Azeri name for the 1929-39 alphabet means "uniform Turkic
>>alphabet", which looks promising because that name is not being used
>>today.  How about "uniturk"?
>
>Fine with me, for whatever that's worth.  (I wrote my last post before
>discovering that ReÅŸat disapproves of "panturk".)
>
>--
>Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
>http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

Hi, something referring to unified would be o.k. with me.

I did a quick look-up

The correct name  for this alphabet is (in some languages):
"Birlashdirilmish yangi Turk alifbesi" (New Unified Turkic alphabet).
It was used for most non-slavic languages in the Soviet Union--70 in all--
until that got to be troubling.  The alphabet was proposed at a Baku
conference

So:
uniturk
nta1926
bakulef (for baku alphabet)
baku1926

or there are probably more words that could come out of the name
"Birlashdirilmish yangi Turk alifbesi"

(and there are the language specific proposals from Reshat,
janalif [for tt, ba], canalip [for Qazak], what about yanalif  would that
work for the other languages?
but it would do better to have a single variant name registered I guess)

I'm willing to wait to hear Reshat's opinion of these various proposals and
go with what he suggests unless his suggestioin is somehow not of the right
format (nta would not work but nta1926 would).

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

LINKS/REFERENCES:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001499.html
"The next step in alphabet reform came at the 1926 Baku (Azerbaijan)
Turkological Congress, which proposed the adoption of the Latin script for
all Turkic languages in the USSR. By 1930, the Arabic script had been
replaced by the Birlashdirilmish yangi Turk alifbesi (New Unified Turkic
alphabet). By 1935, a total of seventy Soviet languages (not all of them
Turkic), representing 36 million people, were being written in the Latin
alphabet, modified by diacritics where needed. Although this obviously
slowed down the literacy campaign, it also came at a time when there was a
new push to eliminate illiteracy. Furthermore, this changeover coincided
with the adoption of the Latin alphabet in Turkey, at the instigation of
Ataturk. The alphabet was viewed as a culturally neutral script, unlikely to
communicate any desires for Russification on the part of the Communist
leadership."

Quoted at the above link from the following source:

http://www.oxuscom.com/lang-policy.htm

http://www.oxuscom.com/lang-policy.htm#alphabet