LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (ca-valencia)

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 19 18:34:34 CET 2007

Gabriel Babiano <GBH00998 at correo dot aeat dot es> wrote:

> could you please inform me about the state of this request and next
> steps to be taken?

I support this subtag, but I'm still concerned about including the name
of the language in four separate translations.  I understand that
"valencià" is the native name for the language and that it is spoken
alongside French- and Spanish-speaking communities, but I'm not
convinced that capturing all these names is one of our objectives.  We
don't current list German, Deutsch, allemand, alemán, tedesco, nemetsky,
etc.

Is there a context in which the English term "Valencian" would not
adequately identify the meaning of the subtag, in a way that is
different from the hundreds of other subtags in the Registry?

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/