Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Dec 17 07:09:11 CET 2007

At 20:41 -0500 2007-12-16, Mario Périard wrote:
>  >>> ubuntu takes curently iso-639-1 and 639-2, it is written black on
>  >>> https://help.launchpad.net/FAQ/Translations
>
>My comment about iso-639-1 and 2 was an answer
>to someone who pretend only iso-639-1 is valid
>for Ubuntu. It is a little bit out of topic.

Your request stated:

>A new variant subtag of the french (fr) is now
>necessary to facilitate the process of
>localization in the new spelling

Since Ubuntu is clearly the primary vehicle for
this, Your Reviewer rules against the request at
this time.

1) the tag could not fulfil its purpose without
external change elsewhere; you should secure that
change first.

2) the tag is related to other closely linguistic
entities and we have not heard from the other
users.

I'm rejecting the request because:

1) You should contact the people at Launchpad.net
and explain that you have special localization
needs and that they need to take RFC 4646 into
account and permit its tags to be used;

2) You should get support from the other users of related Ortograf tags

This is final. Come back when the pre-conditions
have been fulfilled. And you are welcome to
invite the Launchpad people to talk to us. It
does seem to me that they should support these
extended tags.