Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 14 16:53:43 CET 2007

Stéphane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> I do not want to excuse these people / teams (and I'm not sure their
> policy was fairly reported here) but I want to emphasize that every
> project with language-specific contents (software, Wikipedia,
> whatever) receives a lot of requests from people claiming that "their"
> language must be supported and, very often the team has difficulties
> deciding wether the language is significant or not.

That's a good point.  But I would counter that if the LSR is being used
as a test of legitimacy, then we ought to be very sure to apply
appropriate standards of legitimacy, and not register a variant simply
because the requester needs to pass a legitimacy test.  That's like
asking for a key to my house, and to justify your request, pointing out
that you can't get in without one.

To cite another (often over-cited) analogy, IANA won't register a new
two-letter ccTLD without a corresponding ISO 3166-1 code element, but
that does not mean ISO 3166/MA will register a code element just so
someone can get a ccTLD.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell