Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 14 07:16:33 CET 2007

Mario Périard <mario underscore periard at hotmail dot com>

> We need a real "public" subtag because it is required by many software
> translation teams (KDE, Gnome,Ubuntu... require IANA subtag or ISO
> 639-3)

It's still not clear to me whether you are referring to teams of people
or software.  If it is teams of people, those people need to be educated
so they understand that private-use tags are a valid part of BCP 47.  If
it is software, that software needs to be revised so it understands that
private-use tags are a valid part of BCP 47.

This is a silly rule that somebody came up with, and I don't believe
it's our job to cater to the silliness of that rule.  What did these
translation teams do before ISO 639-3 came along, a year ago?  What did
they do before RFC 4646?

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell