Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF or fr-ortograf ?) redone by CEW

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 01:30:39 CET 2007

Hi, all, here it is again; sorry if someone's browser could not read my email (I'm going back and forth between text & formatting right now with my email because I have different things to do; sorry).

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

* *********************************************************** *

Mario, all,
I just corrected Dr. Periard's subtag request form a bit.

Will this satisfy most interested parties?

Thanks.  Hope it helps some.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

 LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
1. Name of requester: Mario Périard

2. E-mail address of requester: mario_periard at hotmail.com

3. Record Requested:

Type:
variant

Subtag:
ortograf

alternative (phonetic) French spelling, created Montreal, 2004.

Prefix: fr

Preferred-Value:

Deprecated:

Suppress-Script:

Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:
Phoneticized orthography of French, created in Montreal, 2004.

5. Reference to published description  of the language (book or article):       http://www.iforum.umontreal.ca/Forum/ArchivesForum/2003-2004/040405/article3430.htm

6. Any other relevant information:  In 2004 researchers at the University of Montreal
( http://www.iforum.umontreal.ca/Forum/ArchivesForum/2003-2004/040405/article3430.htm )
developed the 'ortograf alternativ' (alternate french spelling)
in order to increase literacy among people with intellectual or language disabilities
(dislexy, dysorthography, etc).

Since then, this alternative orthography is spreading.

Government bodies use it
(ex. City of Montreal - http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=2496,3086502&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL )
as well as private firms
(ex. Sociétélogique - http://www.societelogique.org/dev/contenu/?page=simple/bienvenue&langue=si ).

Today, there are also several groups (ex. ortograf.net - www.ortograf.net) promoting this spelling
which currently are translating books, softwares, web sites, etc. in order to
make this new orthography accessible to more people.

Ex. "Le peti prinse" the version of this book in this alternate orthography is available
(you can order or download it at http://www.lulu.com/content/1604695

A new variant subtag of the french (fr) is now necessary
to facilitate the process of localization in the new spelling.