etiquette (was RE: Proposal for a new variant subtag of the french language (fr)

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Dec 8 15:40:55 CET 2007

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> >Despite working in a corporate culture where LGTM is quite
> >widespread, I agree with Everson about +1 and -1.
>
> Hey. Alvestrand. Why are you calling me by my surname?

Can we agree that there are people from different cultures on this list and that, in different English-speaking cultures, it is not uncommon practice to *refer* to a person by their surname, and that that is not considered offensive? Can we also agree that, when people from different cultures on this list employ different conventions in referring to people, it is acceptable so long as it is not *culturally* offensive?

Let's not waste list members' time complaining if someone on this list refers to or addresses someone by a dis-preferred form of their name. If anyone doesn't like the form of their name someone else uses (Mike, Mikey, etc.), then taking it up with that other person *off*-list seems preferable.

Peter