On asking questions (Re: Proposal for a subtag registration (fr-2004-ORTOGRAF))

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Sat Dec 8 02:50:33 CET 2007

--On 7. desember 2007 16:29 -0800 Randy Presuhn
<randy_presuhn at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi -

Speaking as editor of earlier versions of this document......

actually 4646 says:

  When the two-week period has passed, the Language Subtag Reviewer
  either forwards the record to be inserted or modified to
  iana at iana.org according to the procedure described in Section 3.3, or
  rejects the request because of significant objections raised on the
  list or due to problems with constraints in this document (which MUST
  be explicitly cited).  The Language Subtag Reviewer MAY also extend
  the review period in two-week increments to permit further
  discussion.  The Language Subtag Reviewer MUST indicate on the list
  whether the registration has been accepted, rejected, or extended
  following each two-week period.

  Note that the Language Subtag Reviewer MAY raise objections on the
  list if he or she so desires.  The important thing is that the
  objection MUST be made publicly.

The last point was added between 1766 and 3066 exactly to address the
question of whether the language tag reviewer could raise objections
himself.

To the questions:

Asking questions in advance of raising an objection is, IMHO, a good idea.

Based on the lack of satisfactory response to Everson's questions so far,
I'm certainly willing to raise an objection, if Everson doesn't want to
raise the objection himself.

It's up to him to decide whether or not it's significant.

                    Harald