Proposal for a new variant subtag of the french language (fr)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 7 23:16:45 CET 2007

(helping to save the planet by consolidating e-mail headers)

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

>> The ietf-languages group may not wish to be known as the place where
>> people go to get their own inventions registered, similar to Omniglot
>> or LangMaker for constructed scripts.
>
> Doesn't matter.  The question is simply whether the registration
> request meets the requirements established by RFC 4646.

Section 3.5 provides for the possibility of registration requests being
rejected "because of significant objections raised on the list."  I'm
raising, if not significant objections, at least some legitimate
questions that I feel merit answers, lest they turn into significant
objections.  I don't see any process failure here.

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> As for Doug's objection, I have to say that I concur with Randy--
> if it is used online, we register it.

I have three pages on my Web site describing my invented script and four
pages of sample text in that script, encoded using the Unicode PUA and
displayable using a well-known, freely available font.  Should I propose
a variant subtag for my script?  (Answer: No.)

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> Why are you all just full of hate?

Huh?

Two years ago I suggested registering a language subtag for Unilingua, a
language constructed in 1965 and the subject of a Featured Book™ on
Wikibooks.  The suggestion was shot down like a slow duck with a red
bull's-eye painted on its side.  Should I propose it again?  (Answer:
No.)

What is so different about M. Périard's orthography?  Is it that he got
the City of Montréal to include a few pages on their site?  Is it that
he has a major university research group behind his effort?  I don't
know what the guidelines are.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell