Proposal for a new variant subtag of the french language (fr)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 7 20:43:49 CET 2007

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I mean "ortograf" is a pretty bad label for what was described.
> Compare en-axelwijk.

The movement behind this orthography apparently uses the name
"ortograf", in contrast with the traditional French spelling
"orthographe".  Given that, it actually seems to be a fairly appropriate
subtag value.

Rather than debating the exact value of the subtag, we might want to ask
whether this is a suitable candidate for registration at all.  It seems
to be a locally-sponsored proposal to create a reformed French spelling
for "intellectual deficients."  Most of the Web sites that describe this
orthography appear to be interrelated and have a close working
relationship with the University of Montréal researchers who created it.
The extent of adoption of this "new spelling standard" may be
overstated.

The effort to create and promote this orthography is led by Mario
Périard, who requested the registration of this subtag.  From
http://www.ortograf.net/?q=fr/node/5 :

"Qui est derrière la norme Ortograf?
"La norme Ortograf est une initiative de Mario Périard, auquel se sont
joints des collaborateurs de diverses origines au sein du groupe de
développement de la norme Ortograf. La mission du groupe consiste à
développer et promouvoir la norme Ortograf en vue d'en faire une
orthographe communément acceptée du français."

I know we have not shied away from registering people's inventions
before (Dr. Han Steenwijk admitted that the "1994" orthography for
Resian was his invention), but I wonder how far we want to go down this
path.  The ietf-languages group may not wish to be known as the place
where people go to get their own inventions registered, similar to
Omniglot or LangMaker for constructed scripts.

The creators of Web pages in this orthography apparently have not seen a
need thus far to tag their own pages distinctly.  Instead of a language
tag like "fr-x-alt" that would demonstrate the need, the University of
Montréal and Société Logique pages are tagged simply "fr", while the
home page at ortograf.net inexplicably uses the tag "frm", which stands
for Middle French (ca. 1400-1600).  The understanding of IETF language
tagging and BCP 47 leaves something to be desired here.

Perhaps it would be best to hold off on this request until there is more
evidence of its appropriateness.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell