Scottish English (was: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Caoimhin O Donnaile caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 18:13:21 CEST 2007

Here (below) is a further reply from Derrick McClure.

Like the other two experts, he is very firmly of the opinion that
Glasgow dialect is "sco" and not "en".

So apologies for misleading the list with my previous opinion that
it was more "en" than "sco" - even though it is barely intelligible
to many English speakers.

He suggests tagging the original version as sco-glasgow and the
dubbed version as either en-glasgow or en-scotland.  Actually for
Karen's purpose of distinguishing the films, tags "sco" and "en"
might now be enough.  However, "sco-glasgow" would be much more
informative because the Glasgow dialect is pretty unique, and when
most people think of Scots they think first, rightly or wrongly,
of something  like Buchan Scots.

It would be helpful as a reality check if we could somehow hear clips
of the two versions of the film.  The clips I found on Youtube all
seemed to me to be very mild stuff that would hardly need dubbing
for a non-Scottish audience.  Maybe they are in fact from the dubbed
version?

Caoimhín (Kevin)