Fw: m49 code for Scotland?

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Tue Aug 21 18:57:03 CEST 2007

FYI... Re m49 code for Scotland; answer from the UN.

Karen Broome

----- Forwarded by Karen Broome/LA/SPE on 08/21/2007 09:58 AM -----

Virgilio Castillo <castillov at un.org>
08/20/2007 11:48 AM

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
cc
Odd Andersen <anderseno at un.org>, Statistics <statistics at un.org>
Subject
Fw: m49 code for Scotland?

Dear Ms. Broome,
Both Scotland, and England and Wales don't have official M49 codes. They
both fall under UK, code 826. Inclusion to M49 of sub-national entities
and
territories, in this case Scotland,  is determined thru and in
consultation
with the duly recognized member state , i.e. "United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland".
Since they have no M49 codes, they also don't have the corresponding
ISO3166 codes. See item 8 at ISO FAQ site:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/10faq/frequently-asked-questions.html#QS08

The 829 code you refer to are unofficial codes used primarily for internal
coding purposes. Technically, these codes should not be posted at any of
our site.

Virgilio Castillo
UN Statistics Division

----- Forwarded by Odd Andersen/NY/UNO on 20/08/2007 02:03 PM -----

 Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com

 16/08/2007 07:26 PM                                                    To

                                                          chl at un.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject

                                                          m49 code for
                                                          Scotland?

To whom it may concern,

I work with the IETF on language codes on behalf of my employer Sony
Pictures. We need a standardized m49 code for Scotland -- if one exists --
in order to define a language variant properly. In some areas of your
site,
it appears that "829" is the numeric code for Scotland. Could you confirm
or deny that this code exists in the m49 codeset?

Best regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment